Adults will choose books from a reading list supplied by the library and will be asked to submit a brief review for each book they’ve read. Those participating will have an opportunity to win weekly library prizes, and the top readers will be entered in an end-of-summer grand prize raffle.
Those interested in signing up for the adult Summer Reading Program can do so at the Main Library (One North Tennessee Ave.) or Richmond Branch Library (4115 Ventnor Ave.) beginning June 13.
Also, the library has created a new book club for adults – The Start Ups: First in a Series Book Club – in conjunction with the Summer Reading Program. Book club participants will read and discuss the first books from different mystery series. The programs will be held at both the Main Library and Richmond Branch Library locations. Call (609) 345-2269, ext. 3077, for more information.
The schedule for the Start Ups: First in a Series Book Club:
• “Split Second” at 11 a.m. June 13 at the Main Library and 6:15 p.m. June 23 at the Richmond Branch Library – The book club will discuss “Split Second,” which was written by David Baldacci and is part of the King and Maxwell Series.
• “Deeper Than The Dead” at 11 a.m. July 18 at the Main Library and 6:15 p.m. July 21 at the Richmond Branch Library – The book club will discuss “Deeper Than The Dead,” which was written by Tami Hoag and is part of the Oak Knoll Series.
• “Postmortem” at 11 a.m. Aug. 15 at the Main Library and 6:15 p.m. Aug. 18 at the Richmond Branch Library – The book club will discuss “Postmortem,” which was written by Patricia Cornwell and is part of the Kay Scarpetta Series.
The Summer Reading Program will also include other special programs:
• Jane Kelly and The Art of the Series at 2:30 p.m. July 18 – Jane Kelly, author of the Meg Daniels series, will discuss the art of series fiction, everything from the story outline to what goes into building the character.
• Lecture about the Jersey Devil at 2:30 p.m. Aug. 15 – Atlantic Cape Community College professor Nicholas Leonetti will discuss the mystery of the Jersey Devil and answer questions.
The children and teen annual Summer Reading Program will begin 2 p.m. Tuesday, June 23, with a kickoff party at the Main Library. Those who sign up for the program that day will receive a free book while enjoying stories, magic, crafts and refreshments. Call (609) 345-2269, ext. 3050, for more information.